Second Air Force
Formed in the United States to provide air defense and train personnel of newly formed units in World War II, the Second was briefly a part of Air Defense Command after the war. From 1949 to 1975 and from 1991 to 1993, as part of Strategic Air Command, and later Air Combat Command, it engaged in training for strategic warfare. After activation under Air Education and Training Command in 1993, it assumed responsibility for basic military and technical training.
- Established as Northwest Air District on October 19, 1940. Activated on December 18, 1940, at McChord Field, Washington, initially assigned to Central Defense Command, US. Army, and later to Western Defense Command, U.S.Army. Moved to Fort George Wright, Washington, in January 1941. Redesignated 2d Air Force on April 9, 1941 and Second Air Force on September 18, 1942. Moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado, in June 1943. Assigned to Army Air Forces in September 1943, and to Continental Air Forces (later, Strategic Air Command), on April 16, 1945. Inactivated on March 30, 1946. Activated on June 6, 1946 at Fort Crook, Nebraska, and assigned to Air Defense Command. Inactivated on July 1, 1948. Activated on November 1, 1949 at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana; assigned to Strategic Air Command. Inactivated on January 1, 1975. Assigned to Strategic Air Command on August 29, 1991, and activated at Beale AFB, California on September 1, 1991. Reassigned to Air Combat Command on June 1, 1992. Inactivated on July 1, 1993. Activated the same day at Keesler AFB, Mississippi, with a change in assignment to Air Education and Training Command.
- The preceding web-site text was obtained from the Air Force Historical Agency. The text layout has been modified to conform to this webpage and for ease of reading.