Fourth Air Force
Formed in the United States during World War II to provide air defense and combat training for the personnel of newly formed units, the Fourth Air Force was assigned, in turn, to Continental Air Forces, Air Defense Command, and Continental Air Command before inactivating in 1960. The Fourth Air Force served in the air defense program, 1966-1969 and became part of the Reserve program in 1976.
- Established as Southwest Air District on October 19, 1940. Activated on December 18, 1940 at March Field, California, initially assigned to General Headquarters Air Force, then to Western Defense Command, U.S. Army. Moved to Riverside, California, in January 1941. Redesignated 4th Air Force on April 9, 1941. Moved to Hamilton Field, California, on December 7, 1941, and to San Francisco, California, in January 1942. Redesignated Fourth Air Force on September 18, 1942. Assigned to Army Air Forces on September 16, 1943, to Continental Air Forces on April 16, 1945, and to Air Defense Command on March 21, 1946. Moved to Hamilton Field (later, AFB), California, in June 1946. Assigned to Continental Air Command on December 1, 1948. Discontinued, and inactivated, on September 1, 1960. Activated on January 20, 1966, and assigned to Air (later, Aerospace) Defense Command. Organized on April 1, 1966 at Hamilton AFB, California. Inactivated on September 30, 1969. Redesignated Fourth Air Force (Reserve) on September 24, 1976. Activated on October 8, 1976, at McClellan AFB, California, and assigned to Air Force Reserve (later, Air Force Reserve Command). Redesignated Fourth Air Force on December 1, 1985. Moved to March ARB, California, effective April 1, 1998.
- The preceding web-site text was obtained from the Air Force Historical Agency. The text layout has been modified to conform to this webpage and for ease of reading.