We can meet all of your research needs.

There are 3 ways to locate your DD214 or your complete personnel files (known as 201 file) They are:

1) Free DD214 Record Retrieval About 4 months
2) Hire “Someone Else” to apply for your DD214 About 4 months
3) Hire Lyon Research to get your DD214 About a week.


1) Free DD214 Record Retrieval
Time: About 4 months or longer
If you have the time to wait, you can apply for your DD214 and other records by filling out an SF180 form and mailing or faxing it to the National Personnel Records Center, a branch of the National Archives. This option is free; however, because the Records Center receives 5,000 requests each day, their average turnaround time is 12-16 weeks. If they have any questions, because you don’t have complete info, they mail you a questionnaire that adds weeks to the process. For details on obtaining your DD214 for free, see our Order Free page.


2) Hire “Someone Else” to apply for your DD214
Time: About 4 months or longer
You can hire someone else to locate your records for you, but buyer beware! If a company fills out the SF180 form for you (which you could do for free yourself!) they still cannot get your records without your signature on the form. (See what MilitaryRecords.com says about getting a DD214).  One DD214 organization just mails you an SF180 after charging you $19.95, they even say get your DD214 NOW. You end up in the same bind -- waiting for months on end without your DD214 only you’ve also paid them for the service you could have done for free yourself.


3) Hire Lyon Research to get your DD214
Time: About a week.
When you hire Lyon Research, you receive fast, professional service, with one of our experienced researchers retrieving your DD214 or other records in person, often within a week. If there is a problem with the form we just call you, clarify the problem and continue. If your record is not located at the National Personnel Records Center we will probably still be able to obtain it from one of more than 160 locations across the US. (See Why Lyon Research for more details).

To place an order with us, click here


How It Works:

Step 1: The Veteran or family member, who needs a DD214 or personnel file, fills out a signed order form and submits it to Lyon Research. Without a signature, the Records Center can not legally release your full DD214 and most of your personnel file. Fees for Lyon Research service

Step 2: Lyon Research then personally goes to the counter at the Records Center to request your DD214 and ensures that the request is fulfilled promptly. If you just want to make sure the records center has your application, we can drop it off for a small fee.

Step 3: Upon receipt of your CERTIFIED DD214 or other records we fax, mail, Priority Mail or FedEx your records directly to you.

To place an order with us, click here

Step 4: If your file cannot be located or was destroyed in the 1973 Fire canl look at the unit records to try to obtain information that can be used to rebuild your file.

Step 5: If there is no record on file at the Records Center, we will try to obtain the file from the military. We have found files still in the hands of the military 10 years after the veteran was discharged. If the military still has it will we find it no matter what base or state it is in.